same old Ichabod

Ditulis oleh: -
It was a dark and stormy afternoon.

A perfect afternoon to spend on the couch.  Reading.  And a perfect opportunity to finally pick up the copy of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow that I bought last summer.  In Sleepy Hollow.  I have never read the original story, but as I began the tale of Ichabod, a familiar mental image sprung to mind.




I was surprised by this.  Until now, the version of the story with which I've been mainly familiar is the Disney animated version.   But I expected the original story to bear no more than a passing resemblance.  Disney usually "sweetens" the stories it turns into films, sometimes rendering them unrecognizable.  But as I read the story, I recognized Ichabod immediately.  His mannerisms.  His gait.  His unwieldy arms and legs.  Even his noble steed.  It was all there. 

Disney remained remarkably true to the original text.  And then added the musical stylings of Bing Crosby.  I wonder if Washington Irving would have approved.