emergency harvest

Ditulis oleh: -
So I had been holding off on harvesting this year's pumpkin crop.  The growing season got off to a slow start, thanks to a cold and wet spring.  And the summer-like weather in September persuaded me to let the pumpkins sit and ripen in the garden a while longer.  I had been discouraged by the appearance of rot and the subsequent demise of my porch pumpkin.  But I felt confident that the remaining five would benefit from some extra time on the vine.

Until several days ago.  When I took a closer look at the largest pumpkin of the crop.  Not a closer look, exactly.  A closer touch.  And what I felt was a softening, spongy exterior.  Horrified, and fearing the worst for my four remaining pumpkins, I dashed into the house, grabbed the nearest knife, and began an immediate harvest.




My four pumpkins are now resting comfortably on the deck.  Two are a bright orange; two are still quite green, but are beginning to ripen. 

The survivors of 2011.  (Candy corn is for sizing purposes only; it did not emerge from the pumpkin.)