Dracula (with subtitles)

Ditulis oleh: -
Halloween viewing season began last night with the Spanish version of Dracula. Which I knew existed but hadn't yet seen. However, since I'd been able to overcome my fear of Dracula movies enough to watch the Lugosi version, I felt I was ready for this one which was filmed the same year. What I hadn't realized was that, not only was it filmed the same year, but simultaneously with the English version. The English cast filmed during the day, the Spanish cast at night. Same sets. Same props. Same marks for the actors.



The character of Dracula was jarring at first. A little over-the-top. As though the actor was aiming for a comedic spoof. It became less noticeable as the film progressed. Or perhaps I became accustomed to it.







Despite the many similarities, this version is considered the better one and I would agree. Better performances (apart from the Count), including an especially creepy Renfield. It would be interesting to watch them back-to-back to do a detailed comparison.

Maybe one day. For now, I'll take my Dracula in small, individual doses.