the geek family prepares for Hal-Con

Ditulis oleh: -
I spent some time recently leafing through my comic book collection and reflecting on the many sci-fi characters I've encountered through movies and television. I was searching for inspiration for my costume for next October's Hal-Con. It is, after all, a mere eleven months away.

I am determined to have my costume completed well in advance, so it doesn't become tangled and lost in last-minute Halloween preparations. And I've ruled out the possibility of creating one costume that could be worn at both the con and on Halloween night. Like some nebulous monster or alien or zombie. No, my inner geek insists upon dressing as a favourite (and hopefully recognizable) character and it will not be silenced. Two separate costumes will be required.

So finally, after careful contemplation and a painful but honest analysis of my costume-making skills, I arrived at a decision. Golden Age Catwoman. Not to be confused with later incarnations of Catwoman. And not to be confused with the first version to appear in the golden age of comics. When she opted for the clever disguise of "old lady" and was simply called The Cat.



And not even the second version of Golden Age Catwoman. The one with the cat's head mask. That one is just disturbing.



No, it was version three of Golden Age Catwoman that I had in mind. When she had finally decided upon a costume and stuck with it.



An appealing vintage look. A costume that is at once wearable (without profound embarrassment) and achievable (within the realm of my sewing skills). A trip to Value Village. A little basic stitching. And I'd be ready to go.

And then my son made a suggestion.

When the tickets went on sale, I bought a family pass for Hal-Con. But oddly, the rest of my family are reluctant to join me in dressing up. Reactions have ranged from eye rolling to vociferous refusal. Yes, I can say with pride that I am the biggest geek in the house. But now, a glimmer of hope. My son suggested a family group costume. It seems he is willing to consider dressing up if we all dress the same. Preferably in something that disguises his face. All is not lost. I know that if he is on board, the other two can be persuaded.

So I put Golden Age Catwoman on the back burner and we began to brainstorm. A brainstorming session heavily influenced by his affinity for Star Wars. After all, Boba Fett himself would be attending the con. Ideas came quickly. And were rejected just as quickly. Wookies? Too warm. Stormtroopers? Too difficult. Tusken Raiders?



Hmmmm . . . Tusken Raiders. It might work. Basic costume. Good facial coverage. And certainly easier than my first idea of individual Jedi. And while Tusken Raiders are not among my favourite Star Wars characters, I will admit to feeling some sympathy for them after Anakin massacred them early on in his journey toward the Dark Side.

So for the moment, Tusken Raiders it is. But I'll watch for a Catwoman-esque dress at the same time. The capriciousness of adolescence could result in a sudden change of heart. Although I believe I've been clear that if I devote my time and energy to creating four costumes, there will be no turning back.