just one more

Ditulis oleh: -
I think I have a problem.

I have just returned from Superstore with yet another container of President's Choice Key Lime Sherbet. I fear I am well and truly addicted.



My story begins in the last frenzied days before Halloween. I had invited friends for dinner on the 30th and decided to try out a recipe I had noticed while flipping through an old Halloween magazine. A recipe entitled Witches' Brew.

As it turned out, there was more food for dinner that evening than anyone could realistically eat. So the Witches' Brew was put on hold. Until Halloween night. That night, when we were invited to a neighbour's house after the trick-or-treaters had gone home, Witches' Brew seemed the perfect accompaniment. The amounts of ingredients listed seemed small, however; not nearly enough. I quadrupled them, and added vodka, like so:

Milk - 4 cups
Key lime sherbet - 4 cups
Frozen lime juice concentrate - 1/2 cup
Vodka - whatever feels right

As I hurriedly mixed the ingredients with the blender, I was somewhat surprised and annoyed that the key lime sherbet was white. I had expected green. Lime green. Bright green. Witchy green. Who knew that President's Choice had eliminated artificial food colouring from its line of Blue Menu products? Just when I needed it most. Even with the addition of the lime juice concentrate, it had the distinct appearance of Colgate Winterfresh toothpaste.

No matter. It tasted great. And the presence of vodka more than compensated for its less-than-witchy appearance. Two litres of Witches' Brew disappeared quickly that evening. But I wanted more. And it wasn't just the vodka talking. Upon reflection, I realized that what I really wanted most was the key lime sherbet.

It's shockingly addictive. And delicious with cranberry mincemeat.

Now, as I open another container, I console myself with the knowledge that there are far worse things to be addicted to. And the knowledge that Superstore is only ten minutes from my house.