boxing day

Ditulis oleh: -
Early November is a quiet, anti-climactic time of year.  And it would be absolutely depressing, if not for one thing:  Halloween clearance sales.  The Boxing Day of the Halloween season.  On a somewhat smaller scale.  Nevertheless, it's the time of year when I venture out into the stores to seek out some coveted items that were not in the Halloween budget this year.  Or that simply carried a price tag with which I did not agree.  

This year's after-Halloween sales, however, were a disappointment.  Many stores had scaled back on their Halloween merchandise throughout the season.  And then hurriedly packed it away as the sun rose on November 1st.  The nicer merchandise, that is.  There were still plenty of cheap wigs and fake cobwebs to be found at deep discounts.  But I did pick up a couple of things that I've had my eye on since September.  




First, a couple of ceramic wine glasses.  That have already been used more times than I'd like to admit.  And second, one of those battery-operated, motion-sensored, self-propelled brooms that seemed to be everywhere a year or two ago.  At 50% off, I couldn't resist.  Although its cheap, plastic appearance will require some modification before I reveal it to the world.  And then of course, there was chocolate. Wonderful bargains on miniature chocolate bars, which I had planned to use in the "leftover-Halloween-candy" dessert recipes I'd been saving.  Sadly they didn't last long enough.  I'll need to find a better hiding place.

And now, time for another glass of wine.