halloween mardi gras

Ditulis oleh: -
Mardi Gras always reminds me of Halloween. And there is a perfectly logical reason for this.


For several years during the 1980's, the city of Halifax was home to a huge free outdoor Halloween costume party on the Saturday night prior to Halloween. Which came to be known as Mardi Gras. Apparently, it began spontaneously one year. Groups of people in costume filled the streets on their way to celebrate Halloween in the downtown bars, of which there are many. Each year brought more and more people, until it finally became a recognized event. One downtown street was officially blocked off for revelers. Other streets were un-officially blocked off by the sheer number of people, estimated at 40,000 during the peak years. It began in the early evening and ended . . . sometime later that night . . . or early the following morning.

The reason for its title of "Mardi Gras" is lost in the mists of time. There was really no connection to February's Mardi Gras. Other than the costumes. And the street parties.

I had the good fortune of being a university student in the city at the time. And as such, took full advantage of the celebratory atmosphere. Always eager to celebrate Halloween, my costume was planned well in advance and I either hosted or attended a pre-Mardi Gras party. Of course, creepiness and horror were paramount. As evidenced by my costumed party guests. I'm the one in the always terrifying Sylvester the Cat costume.



No photos exist of the events downtown. My only camera at the time was a large 35mm. And even I knew better than to wade through the downtown crowds carrying that. So when I remember Mardi Gras, I am forced to rely on my memories. Which are all good, if somewhat hazy.

Halloween Mardi Gras was one of the highlights of the year, each bigger and better than the last. Sadly, it eventually grew too big. And too problematic. Complaints about noise and damage and drunkenness began to escalate and led the city to eventually cancel it. But by that time, I had moved away. Taking my happy memories and my Sylvester costume with me.