sleepy hollow by sunlight

Ditulis oleh: -

So I'm home from a week's vacation in New York City. And one of my favourite parts of the trip had nothing to do with the city itself.

Not wanting to drive in Manhattan, we opted to stay in upstate New York and take the train into the city. And quite naturally, as I was exploring a map, looking for a suitable spot, my eyes fell upon Sleepy Hollow.  Perfect, I thought.




Alas, not quite so perfect. There was no hotel in Sleepy Hollow itself, so we stayed in nearby Tarrytown.  And my dreams of a lantern-lit ghost walk through Sleepy Hollow Cemetery evaporated when I discovered that most of their ghostly activities take place in the fall.  Which means I now have an excuse to return.

But despite the fact that it occurred under the intense light and heat of the July sun, it was a worthwhile visit. The spirit of Ichabod and his headless pursuer was everywhere.

From the orange and black street signs . . . 




. . . to the stone carvings . . .




 . . . to the metal statue near the original bridge . . .




. . . to the site of the famous bridge. Now a busy and somewhat dangerous intersection. Fortunately, I survived.




Perhaps because of the possibility of sight-seers being mowed down by speeding cars, the original bridge has been re-created in a quieter and safer location.  Deep in the heart of Sleepy Holllow Cemetery. 



Where the greatest danger is being mowed down by passing joggers.




From the Old Dutch Church . . .





 . . . to Washington Irving's grave . . . 



. . . to the looming front gates, this cemetery is massive.  Easily the largest I've seen.  With hills and valleys and winding paths and mausoleums.




There are bound to be more than a few ghosts lurking in there.  Time to begin planning an autumn trip.