a beer by any other name . . .

Ditulis oleh: -

So while planning the drive back to Nova Scotia from Tarrytown, it seemed best to break it into two days. Sixteen hours of non-stop driving wasn't terribly appealing. And completely contrary to the word "vacation". So I booked a hotel in a spot we've visited often and always enjoy. The town of Rockport on Cape Ann in Massachusetts. And since the drive took us within five minutes of Salem, it was unthinkable that we wouldn't stop for a visit. Salem in July is a completely different experience than Salem in October. Much quieter. Much warmer. Much less Halloween in the air. But it is still a lovely little city and we enjoyed our afternoon wandering around the streets and shops.

There was more, however. I had an ulterior motive for stopping in Salem. On our last October visit, three years ago, we ate at the Salem Beer Works. And whilst devouring our nachos, onion rings, and chicken wings, I noticed that the brewery had its own line of Salem/ Halloween themed beer. I was beyond excited. What was more, they were available in bottles that could be purchased at the adjacent brewery store. Perfect. Or so I thought. Sadly, my joy was short-lived. I had made this discovery on a Sunday. The beer store was closed on Sunday. And we had to leave early the next morning.

Someday, I promised myself . . . someday . . .

And finally, "someday" had arrived. "Someday" was now. After wandering the city, we all converged at the statue of Samantha in a town square and made our way to the beer works.




The signs greeted me as we walked through the front door. Witch City Red. Pumpkinhead Ale. Black Bat Stout. All with suitably creepy imagery. All within reach at last. We ordered our food and I immediately inquired about purchasing bottles to take home. Why yes, I was told, I could buy any of the beers listed. In bottles. And yes, I could put together an assorted six-pack. I began making my list. Tell Tale Lager. Witch City Red. Salem Pale Ale. . . I envisioned the addition of six new Halloween-themed labels to my growing beer bottle collection. Because anyone who knows me knows that the labels interest me far more than the beer itself.

It was when I communicated this fact to our waiter that things went awry.

"Oh . . ", he stated. ( I knew then that this wouldn't end well.) "The bottled beer isn't available with the Salem-themed labels. It's the same beer, but the label would say 'Boston Common Red' or 'Fenway Park Lager'." These were names that simply would not fit in with my Halloween beer collection. Apparently, their Salem-themed names were used only for on-tap beer in this location. For local colour. Devastated, I canceled my order.

Looks like I won't need a new shelf for my beer bottles after all.