it's almost time

Ditulis oleh: -



With the Victoria Day weekend upon us, my thoughts turn to vegetable planting. And more specifically, to pumpkin planting. Although I am tempted to try planting basil again if only to see how many consecutive times I can fail. But I digress. Pumpkin planting time is almost upon us. Last year, I had started some seeds indoors by now. But we know how well that turned out. So this year, they're going directly into the soil outdoors. Soon. I've discovered that the professional growers plant on June 1st. It can't hurt to follow their lead.

In an effort to learn from last year's pumpkin crop disaster, I intend to alter my strategy this season. The majority of last year's pumpkin plants were located behind the house. An area that receives significant sunshine. But obviously not enough. Or at least that's what I have chosen to identify as the problem. The front of my house, on the other hand, receives constant, non-stop, blistering sun from morning until evening. I think the pumpkins might be happier there.

So I was thinking aloud and contemplating where in the front yard I might plant some pumpkins when I encountered an obstacle. A 5' 10", 46 year-old obstacle. My husband is horrified at the thought of growing pumpkins in the front yard. Even just a few strategically placed pumpkin plants. Absolutely not, he says. It will look horrible, he says. Yes, definitely an obstacle. But not an insurmountable one.

If there's one thing I've noticed in over 20 years with this person, it's his short attention span. He objects. He complains. He obsesses. And then he moves on. He forgets. I am confident that by June 1st, he will have completely forgotten our conversation about the pumpkin plants. And then I can quietly slip a few seeds into the front yard garden beds.

I'm hopeful that by the time he realizes there are pumpkins growing in the front yard, he will be overcome with admiration for my burgeoning pumpkin crop. And if this year's crop, like last year's, is less-than-stellar, we can pull up the failed plants together and drive to the nearest pumpkin farm.