pumpkin strategy

Ditulis oleh: -

I've been cautiously optimistic. The unseasonably warm early April weather has persuaded me to turn my attention to the yard and garden. And although I'm still afraid that actually breaking ground might trigger a spring snowstorm, I have begun the process of raking and general garden clean-up.

And pumpkin planning.

Undeterred by last year's crop failure, I am determined that this season will yield a successful pumpkin crop. I'm not asking much. I have a small yard. I'll be happy with just a few home-grown pumpkins this fall. Let's be honest. After last year, I'll be happy with even one home-grown pumpkin.

In my quest for pumpkin success, I have decided to alter my growing strategy. Gone is my attempt at vertical pumpkin glory. I've heard that pumpkins can be successfully grown on wire frames and trellises. But not by me. I've also decided to re-locate my pumpkin patch from the back and side of my house to the front. While these other areas of my yard receive significant amounts of sunshine, nothing compares to the full sun received by the front yard. All sun. All the time. Unless it's cloudy.

Last year, I was reluctant to plant pumpkins in the front yard. Partly because I felt they would obscure my flowering plants. And partly because I feared they would attract the attention of the street's pre-pubescent criminals and would never live to see October. However, given the complete failure of last year's pumpkin strategy, I've decided to take my chances with the hooligans. If all appears to be going well, I may even provide a few pumpkins as a peace offering. That being said, I'll likely plant a few seeds in back. Just in case.

The pumpkin adventure begins anew. Soon.